Now, they’re offering the following safety tips for Memorial Day; one of the busiest travel times of the year.
- Drive defensively-expect the unexpected.
- Maintain a safe distance of one car length for every 10 mph between you and the car in front of you.
- Be courteous, use turn signals, and obey all laws.
- Keep your options open. Know what you will do if you are cut off.
- Turn off mobile devices when driving.
- Make sure your vehicle is properly maintained. Make any necessary repairs immediately.
"Safe driving is no accident," said U.S. Postal Service Safety and Health Director Linda DeCarlo. "The safety of our employees is our top priority, and we are proud our comprehensive safe driver training program is second to none."
The Postal Service has 300,000 letter carriers that drive 214,000 vehicles which is the largest civilian fleet in the country.